Wednesday, September 21, 2005

102.6 degree fever. Mmmmm boy.
Not to say that I didn't expect something of the sort to occur at some point, but really now. Everyone else just vomited once or twice. Being the overachiever I am, I contracted a bacterial gastronomical infection and landed myself on three medications. Never fear (mom, dad, grandparents, tia ruth, et al.) I went straight away to the doctor and now, 36 hours later, am fully hydrated and eating for the first time. Things happen quickly here in Senegal.

This sickness offered a new perspective on many aspects of life here, in the form of many questions.
  • How close am I to my new aunts? Answer: not as close as I had thought. Preferred to give self-care.
  • Just how well can I speak french when feverish? Answer: Better than expected. Survival instincts kicking in?
  • Can I convert Fahrenheit to Celsius? Answer: Not when feverish. Rough translation of my explanation of my fever: "It's Very very high. Very hot. Dangerous. I need to call a doctor." I realized the point might not have translated completely when my aunt responded: "Well, you have money. Walk down the street to the tellecenter."
  • Mange? (Eat?) Yes. Apparently this isn't only a nightly declaration, but a life mantra. Eating, my family seems to think, will cure anything. Including nauseau. I spent my first ill night politely refusing several containers of milk, spicy beef and rice, and an entire bowl of sugary sweet pudding.
  • Does Senegalese Tarenga (famed kindness and hospitality) truly exist? Answer: YES. My uncle said to me a few nights ago that he heard once that if you fell over in the street ill in America, you might lie there for hours, or even days, before someone helped you. I had to tell him that yes, perhaps in some places, that was true. Appalled, he explained that in Senegal that would never happen. This very situation was played out almost word for word yesterday. Coming out of the doctors office, I found myself too weak to walk to the street - some ten meters away. I paused in a chair on the doctor's porch, gathering my energy and trying in my feverish state to make a plan as to how I could land myself back at school. After several minutes, I plunged ahead. The world blurred and smeared a little bit. The sun was impossibly bright. As I neared the sidewalk and the edge of the road, I felt my limbs falling limp below me. The sidewalk, cool and stable, was quite unexpectedly supporting my torso, knees, and hips. Suddenly, a mans voice: "Madame, you are sick?" Yes. "There is a doctor not ten meters from here! I will take you." No, merci, I just came from there. I...I need a taxi. "I will help you. Stay here." This mirage of a man walked into the street and within thirty seconds returned with a taxi. He helped me in, then made sure the driver knew where to go and wouldn't charge me too much. As the taxi began to drive away, I heard him saying "You will be well, Inchalla."

So yes. My uncle was right about Senegalese Tarenga. I just had to find out the hard way.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummmmmm, exhale of gratitude and relief. You are OK. This must be true. You've written your blog. Comfort. So, the Young women have both been challenged by our bodies this summer, making unexpected acquaintance with medical resources in remote places. So glad the Tarenga is real. Truly.
xoxoxoxoxandso much love for you...
Momma

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey meg,
i found your blog through jenny's blog and have just read about your sickness. sorry to hear about that! i suppose by now you know what "in sha allah" means (God willing). If you want to visit Egypt, I'm here!

3:53 AM  
Blogger plee said...

Meg you poor thing! I hope that you're getting better and that this doesn't happen again later.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're okay, Meg!

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg - when sick, eat oatmeal...or the Senegalese equivalent. If Laura and I had the ability, we'd have traveled all the way to Senegal just to have you spit our sub-par oatmeal on the sofa.

I miss you dearly and can't wait to see you, though I wouldn't cut short your fantastic experience or your illustrative blog entries. I want you to know that today was the day for Major Chop Numero Dos. That's right, I donated my hair again today and it's much shorter this time around. We're talking can't pull it all into a ponytail. In other news, it is a beautiful sunny day in Middlebury and today the college is celebrating the dedication of its first on-campus wind turbine.

Je t'aime,
Caitlin

10:09 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Chris - Hello from Senegal!

Mumsy - Yes. All is well. No worries, this girl can care for herself, and when not, she knows how to land (literally) in the right places.
xoxoxoxo

Alison - Thanks for the Egypt invite! How is your experience so far??? I'd be interested to compare cultural notes.

Sannie - Aww thanks. :) Feeling much much better.

Dear Grandma and Grandpa, Yes, I received your birthday card...on my birthday! I was stunned by the timing. Thank you so much for the pictures - not only are they a great comfort, but they are fun to show to my Senegalese family! Glad to hear about your trip, you have always been an inspiration to me with your constant giving (and going going going!!!) God speed and safety in your travels. Much love.

Steph: me too :)

Caitlin: Thanks for the oatmeal love. (spit.) Chop #2! I want pictures! Some very very lucky person will get that hair...so thick and shiny...the precious...Ummm yes. It's pretty hot today (everyday.) and it's made me a wee bit crazy. Crazy for you! ;) If you please, do some leaf peeping for me while you watch the spinning arms of that beautiful turbine. love always and despite. *sun

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home