Friday, September 02, 2005

Africa!
After about two days of travel and six hours of sleep I've arrived, with my new group of equally jetlagged friends, in Senegal. It has been raining nonstop for the last 10 days - all the streets are flooded with about 10 inches of water, and many of the school roofs are leaking. Thankfully, until we move in with our host families next week, we'll live in wonderful, leak-free (for now...) dorm rooms, complete with AC. (much needed...HUMID). My hair is already a tiny bit curly. (amazing.)
We arrived at about 7:30am Senegal time (midnight thirty for those in Colorado...I'm 7 hours ahead of you, 6 hours ahead on MN, 5 hours ahead of Middlebury). I've already met my academic director and housing coordinator - both are welcoming and warm, with great senses of humor ;) I also met Anna, the student coordinator for this university, who immediately took us on an impromptu, very wet (this rain won't quit. It's a little like constantly taking a warm shower), tour of the school, complete with a random visit to the head dean, who did not seem at all shocked at the arrival of several dripping Americans in his office. I've been told that here in Senegal one must always be willing to stop and chat - thus far that seems to hold true even for those in the highest of positions! Continental breakfast: half a baguette, instant coffee, and hibiscus juice. (Surprising. Fruity, minty, spicy...).
Discoveries today:
I did not know that a van could function after driving for 20 miles through 10 inches of water. It can.
Hibiscus juice is wonderful.
Excitement can override jetlag.

...and that's just the beginning.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie,
I'm nibbling on rosemary & orange crackers and brie...and imagining you sipping hibiscus. Wet. Happy. Life is good! Get some sleep ;-)
lovenhugs,
Mumsy

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Meg!

Luck and love sent to you in Senegal. Moih!

Hayley

8:19 PM  
Blogger plee said...

Meg...I can't believe you're in Senegal. And where am I? yes, still in the U.S. I hope you're enjoying all the wonderful new things to see, learn, and do over there. Send pics and postcards!!

-Sannie

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg,
Wish we (Margaret, Yoko, Scott and I) could be there with you. It sounds exotic and enough out of the comfort zone to be really fun, interesting and mind expanding.

How's the french? And please keep writing about the food. Finally, what kinds of questions are folks asking about us back here in the lower 48?

Love,
Robin, Yoko, Scott, Margaret and Sweetie

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg, dear, I'm so incredibly jealous of you right now. Have an absolutely fantastic time (and be sure you take advantage of your time- travel, travel, travel! it's cheap and fantastic!)

Happy birthday (as I believe it's past midnight there now)

Love,
Mary

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg... in Africa!!
Wow! Did a few ounces of that 25 pounds go towards a camera?
I can't wait to hear about your adventures in Senegal (and beyond?).
-That guy who bugs you online, with obsessive punctuation and grammar.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 20th!!! It's labor day today (mom remembers). How appropriate...ahhhh...what a great creation we birthed!
Hope you're having a beautiful birthday.

Much love to our "ragin' megan"!

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg - This is my first experience with blogging! For a time on Thursday, after receiving your message on my cell phone, I thought we were both in the Denver airport. I was going to try and find you. I called your Dad for your cell phone number and he set me straight - that it was NY and not Denver! Keep the infor coming We are really eager to learn all about your Senegal experience. Love , Grandmother Young

9:40 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Mumsy et Fahja - Life is good! I'm sleeping more.

Hat - merci pour les bonnes pensees!

Sannie - working on the picture thing...trickier than expected, but feasable, I think. Enjoy the US while you're got it! Missing a few things here...like warm showers...

Robin, Yoko, Scott, Margaret, and Sweetie - who is Sweetie? In terms of questions being asked, the most common questions generally surround the topics of marriage, whether or not we're Peace Corps members, and how the hurricane clean up is going. News travels fast! Food updates are sure to follow...right now: LOTS of rice and baguettes...not much of any fiber to be found in the diet. I'm about to go on a mango excursion, as they're at their peak right now!

Mary - However you found this blog, I am so proud of you! Any tips for the new traveler? Glad to hear from you.

Boulder Man - See above for photo info. And see next comment post for more comments to you!

Grandma - I'm honored to be involved in your first blogging experience! Sorry about the cell phone confusion in the airports - my phone died immediately after leaving that message! Do you have any advice for a white woman in a less developed foreign nation? I thought you might be able to give me some seasoned tips.

NH Youngs: thanks for the well wishes! I can't wait to see you all again...next year?

Whew!

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home