Sunday, September 11, 2005

September 11th in a Muslim country.

My thoughts turn to the multiple conversations with various aunts, uncles, and professors concerning the American definitions of 'terrorist', 'taliban', and 'muslim'. (No I don't equate them... yes, there are probably some Americans who do.) As the sole US citizen in the household, and for that matter the neighborhood, I find myself often in a position of speaking for the US as a whole. I'm not yet comfortable in this role ... not in English, and certainly not in French. How does one explain in simple terms (I'm guessing I speak at about a 5th grade level right now) that citezens of the US do not ascribe to a single path of thought? How does one express love and pride for one's homeland while simultaneously expressing a distaste for certain dogma, ideology, and practices? How can I possibly say to a family of devout Muslims that: yes, there are a good number of people in middle america who would just as soon believe that anyone reading a koran might as well be an enemy of state? (A sweeping generalization? Hopefully. Grounded in some semblance of truth? ...Probably.)
Yes, I'm a christian.
No, I'm not afraid of Muslims.
Yes, September 11th bewildered and angered me.
No, I don't believe you are to blame.
As a child I often listed 'ambassador' as a possible career choice; I believe I'm getting a taste of that right now.


Life at home changes, expands, and improves daily. Visitors come and go constantly, as family members mill between the three floors. I may experience many things in this household, but boredom will never be one of them.

  • I did finally meet my mother, who is indeed the minister of industry for the country of Senegal. Elegant, intelligent, funny. I am a very lucky girl. She has decided that I am only to speak Wolof in her presence. I have decided that I shall sound like an idiot around her for the next month and a half. In time I'll improve, Inchalla! (God willing)
  • I really do love this family. Yesterday I was party to the Great Baby Powder War of 05. 1st floor terrace. The Samb children and one friend (2 years old) + sugar high, compliments of jus de bisap (afore-mentioned hibiscus juice) + one bottle baby powder (used to ward of heat blisters on the childrens' backs) = closest thing to a snow shower that these children have ever seen. Laughter. Faces and arms smeared white. An amused mother. A foreign exchange student in hysterics (these kids were FUNNY).
  • I tend to spend days with the children and aunts, and evenings with the uncles: studying and taking part in Senegalese tea ceremonies. Lamine is my favorite "uncle" thusfar (quotations because, in theory, he is not actually an uncle. But with the Senegalese's loose definitions of family and my odd situation, I have decided to take this whole family tree business into my own hands. He is therefore my uncle, because I say so). Lamine is fantastic. New expressions tumble across his face constantly as he takes in every detail of conversation in the room. He'll ask all the tough questions and then help me find my way to the answers. He excitedly talks to me about his job at the printing press (a REAL printing press. Thank god I watched Newsies as a child, as that allows me to actually picture the machines he describes), and every night he makes sure to invite me up to the uncles' quarters for tea. Last night we watched reruns of "Dallas" and I learned how much sugar to use per pot of tradtional tea (answer: a lot.) Tala, another uncle, is an up and coming business man of the family, having studied in both Dakar and France. He now finds himself overqualified for the majority of job openings in Senegal, and therefore unemployed. He hopes to move to the US by the end of the year to start a company selling African art. Bocar is a neighbor and friend of the family who I think may of notions of courting me. I've explained that I'm very studious and have no interest whatsoever in men right now, Senegalese or otherwise. Also, my Dad is very strong and protective. ;)

Spoke to Dad today for the first time - so good to hear his voice! Loving it here, but absolutely missing the comfort of home. Love to you and peace to you all.

Jamm ak jamm...

(from peace to peace)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Sweet Meggie,
Just back from family camp----beautiful, stunningly beautiful---like one big hug of FCC community within God's glory at La Foret. All send deep love. Used your little overnight bag---voila, your undies were inside!! (Missing any?? Hee hee.) BTW Ellie says put Neosporin on your sea urchin needles and keep really clean---which I'm guessing you are since no shower shoes!! Loving every breath of your blog. Of your immersion. Of your not knowing. I deeply believe that if you can learn to celebrate the unknown...it will be a lesson for life. And, I believe that this is your natural gift. Loving loving loving your writing. Its as if I'm there!! Such voice! Consider this blog your virtual teddy bear!

Wish I'd been here for your call. Left your message on our machine...just to get a hit of your voice whenever I need it. Missing you terribly, but loving that you are precisely where you need to be. In the arms of a country known for abundant love, a program known for the creation of life-changing experiences...and a big, juicy, engaging, mysterious, questioning, embracing multi-generaltional family!! I'm deeply touched by the woloff translations. Like 'from peace to peace'. Wow. xoxoxox sun, moon stars...and so much more, Mumsy

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear fellow Vikings' Fan,

Today was a painful day to be a Vikings' fan. The Vikings opened their season at the Metrodome against Tampa Bay.

Tampa Bay got the ball first and our defense was great. 3 and out. Then our offense got the ball, and we started marching down the field. We got close to the end zone when Culpepper throws the ball to someone wearing a Tampa Bay uniform. Unfortunately, they caught it. That was the best drive of the game. The next time we had the ball, Culpepper had it fly out of his hands on the first play (he claimed it was a pass attempt but the ref's didn't believe him). Tampa Bay got that ball as well. The next time we got the ball, Culpepper got hitfrom behind and fumbled the ball again.
We did score a touchdown during the game. Our defense made the score.
Tampa Bay is such a bad team that we were still able to win the game in the last two minutes. All we needed was a touchdown. Culpepper finally started to play like he should and we moved down the field quickly and got to their 15 yard line before Culpepper lost his ability to throw to his own players and once again gave the ball back to Tampa Bay on a bad throw.

To see all of this in crisp high def on a big screen made it all the more painful. I was tempted to stick something in my foot (hmmm...I wonder if you got this behavior from me???).

I must stop talking about this now and get back to real life.

Love,
Le Dad

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan - You are doing some great writing from Senegal. Keep it up. Your account resonates with me because I am doing interviews of refugees in Minnesota for a book I've been asked to write about the Center at Regions Hospital that provides care for non-Engish speaking refugees. Your struggles to become comfortable and "at home" in Senegal are similar to those being described to me by Hmong and Somalia refugees. Of course, these folk are here, not by choice, but by necessity, which changes the dynamics (and pain) considerahly different. Love, Grandmother Young

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darling Meg,
Belated happy birthday! I'm back in the States, back at Middlebury. Campus isn't quite the same without you, but we're having a good time over here. First day of classes. Yipes.

I'm glad you sound like you're having such an amazing time at Senegal. Caitlin just sent me this blog address today, so I"m still catching up with some of your entries, but so far, they've been amazing me with how well you've been keeping up with all the details!

Will write more soon... Keep those marriage proposals comin' ;-)

love, Myra

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chub here-
Honorable, I just have to say that I love reading your blog. I feel like I can taste and see and am experiencing your life out there. Living vicariously through you is great!! Haha, but seriously, what an experience, and it's only just begun. Much has happened here in the realm of boys (noel) and no more boys (noel) and school and triathlon. I won a bike race yesterday! So tell me, what kind of food do you eat from day to day? Rather, what is typical senagalese food...if any? I must be gone, and I hope you got my birthday email. I read what you write and I hear your sweet voice in my head. I miss you and I love you, go get em kid-
love,
cass

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Meg,
Gosh, I love everything you write. How fun the favorite Uncle sounds. You must be learning faster than the speed of light!

Church was pumped yesterday....Rev. Bill exploded with anger towards the Bush administration. He said this was festering since Katrina. He let it all hang out about the waste of human life in Iraq, too...his son leaves for there soon. I could hear a pin drop??!!

I love your stream of consciousness writing. Keep it up. What does your community look like? Rural? Urban? Are you dancing? Still humid?

Yes, I think your blog address was initially incorrect.

PS You can be my ambassador anyday.
Love,
Ruthie, La Tia

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meggie,

I forgot to ask how your foot was? I learned from a great Samoan woman once that the best way to heal wounds is to go swimming in the ocean...in the medical field that is called a Saline soak!

Did you get all the needles out? If not, numb it with ice, then go for it!

Love the powder story...La Tia Ruth

10:57 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

First of all, thanks to everyone for making my day. I just read through these notes with tears in my eyes from love, laughter, and pain (ah to be a vikings fan...)
Every message brings a piece of home and comfort... so Thank You.

Sarah: Insightful words. I'll have to keep reminding myself to write, as often the best things happen just at a time when I'd rather fall on my pillow than pick up a pen. I know (and you seem to know as well) that I'll thank myself later for the efforts. Any other words of wisdom?

Mumsy: Oh how I missed your voice this weekend! Next time. It was, however, wonderful to hear that you were at La Foret. One of us needs to be ;) The urchin needles are doing fine. Love and miss more than ever.

Fahja: We put ourselves through a lot, we vikings fans. And in hi-def? Surely a new technogeek form of masochism. Culpepper... oy. I love the man dearly, but SERIOUSLY. I'm cringing a continent away. Keep the updates coming...there is always hope!

Lee: Ah the new co-chair! So glad to hear from you once again...and glad you're enjoying the blog! And I thought Relay was the biggest challenge I'd ever face... haha. Nope! Let me know how the planning kicks off and give love to everyone from me!

Grandma: That sounds like an incredibly powerful book to be working on. Have you discovered any unifying ties between the refugees' stories? A universal sentiment? I'm eager to hear more.

Myra: Oy! So sorry to have not sent the link! I feel as though i may have fled the united states without informing necessary parties of my online whereabouts! Would you pass this blog address on to all our nears and dears? Thanks much. SO GLAD to hear from you! How was you're reentry back into the old US of A? any hints of culture shock there? Enjoy midd... I miss it, and you!

Chub: Congrats on the bike race! Not that I'm hugely suprised, you were always superhuman to some extent. ;) Ah life changes... I think the noel thing is truly for the best at this moment - he's got some growing to do,and you've got some docterates to earn. I think you both know that in the end, if it's meant to be, it will be. We're all just seeds...in god's hands... We're a rainbow made of children... one tin soldier rides away. You know.

Tia Ruthie: Well I must say I'm more than a little sad to have missed the explosion of Rev Bill. Hopefully he saves a little of that fire for my return in Dec. Katrina...oy. The Senegalese news has done a good job covering it, but I find myself confused by the details. Where is the aid?
Needles... are still in my foot, but painless. The wounds are clean and mainly healed...do you think it's still necessary to dig them out? Let me know. (ah the joys of having a resident nurse!!)

Love to All,
*Meg

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home