Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Jamm nga yendoo? Nunga fa!
This morning the gardener stopped, mid-wheel barrowing to make sure I was practicing my Wolof. Using my one day of Wolof class experience, I was able to discover that his name is Ibba Fahj...(something something...), that he is well, his day has been peaceful, and, thanks be to god, his family is also well.


A bit of housekeeping:
Due to spotty internet, it's easiest for me to receive notes from you via comments on this blog. I'll write comments back in the comment section whenever the chance arises- make sure to check for them! Emails are much harder to open and reply to. BUT...I love (love love love!) any and all communication!

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes - the day was indeed BIG, exciting, challenging (see last entry...), etc. Wonderful, all in all. Your well wishes only made it better. Last night (birthday night), the group went out to dinner at Chez Mimi's. Along the way, we were able to add to our gaggle of SITers:

1 Middlebury friend (MAREN!!! A student with CIEE)

1 Nigerian (Mary - feisty girl who we became acquainted with during a violent estrogen-filled game of spoon the night before. Laughter, claw marks, and several wrestling matches.)

1 Guinean (Yves - my neighbor, and a student here at Suffolk completing his BS in the Boston-Suffolk exchange program. He speaks VERY Limited English (about comparable to my Wolof) and fluent French. We speak French.)

2 friends from Burkina Faso (friends of Yves - a lively, fun addition to the party)

Chez Mimi, the hostess was not at all surprised to be pounced upon by a group of 18 with mangled French. Within seconds, tables were happily pushed together and chairs were scooted around to allow our herd to move in. I don't know that I've ever seen a more agreeable restaurant staff. (Laura, I can only imagine how the Red Robin staff might act in the same situation...visions of post-choir-concert burger gatherings and bitter waiters are flying through my head...) The other students made me a card and secretly bought me a green tie-dye sarong. Ah wonderful SIT friends... (I discovered later that my wardrobe had quite clearly displayed my fondness for the color green) All in all, a wonderful birthday, alxamdulilla! (thanks be to God!)
We were placed in our French groups today...Grace a l'ecole francais de Middlebury, je suis dans le niveau le plus avance! Thanks to Middlebury Language School, I'm in the highest level! I am truly thankful for this past summer of French...only just now am I realizing how much it has helped me in both my listening abilities and my comfort level with speaking to students, profs, my Senegalese brother, the gardener, Amadou the guard, Monsieur Mane...etc. Merci Middlebury!

Best quote so far (rough translation):
“You seem to really love living every moment. You’re in the right country for that.”

6 Comments:

Blogger j schneider said...

Hey Meg,
I put a link to your blog on my blog. Dan had this idea that we could all link to each other's. . . his is daninkyoto.blogspot.com. I miss you! Caitlin and I had tea and watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding last night. Wish you were here! Go TEAM FUN.

Jenny

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! It sounds like you had an amazing day yesterday. Love much and miss you so much.

-Hayley

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg,

Great to hear you're learning Woolite. Sounds like a grand experience to learn all about it in French. I've meant to learn it myself (I see the commercials all the time), but now I'll wait until you can teach me.
I'm heading out to the passport office myself. Need to get one soon for a possible trip to the great wall. I'll let you know if I get to go.

Love,
Le Dad

9:58 AM  
Blogger plee said...

Hey Meg...Happy Belated Birthday! (I would greet you in our 'secret handshake' but uh, guess that isn't possible online) It sounds like you're having a fantastic time. I'm jealous because I'm still at home forgetting my German. I can only say one thing in French: Je suis le diable! But not really.

Love,
Sannie

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Meg!
One day with the language and you're already flirting with the gardener? ;)
I saw a quote today that I've had stuck in my head, and I thought I'd share it:
"La culture, c'est comme la confiture: moins on en a, plus on l'étale."
Have a great day!
Steph

11:24 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Jenny - good idea! now I need to learn how to link things...
Ahhh...I'm so glad to hear that tea parties and greek weddings continue in the states. What I would give for a good cup of tea.

Hat - LOVE.

Le Dad - Great Wall!?!? Great Scott! (er...chinaman...) That sounds amazing...I always thought that those 9pm meetings might pay off. Your language prowess astounds me. (woolite...oy.)

Sannie - While you may like to think of yourself as the devil, I prefer to keep you under the category of a hilarious, spunky rocker chick who generally has better hair than me.

ALEX!!! Hooray! Ah be brave, my dear German one. When do you leave?

Steph: I just polled tha lab of french-speaking americans...none of us know the verb "etaler". Enlighten les pauvres betes!

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home