Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Senegalese Dining 101
  1. You did not come to Senegal for the food. (Don't lie.) This guide addresses the basic rules of etiquette when it comes to nourishing oneself in a Senegalese setting. If you wanted gourmet, you'd be in Paris.
  2. Utensils: Forks, knives, spoons? Senegalese response: hands. Hand, that is. The right one. Use left and find yourself banished from the bowl. (I've yet to address the bathroom situation in depth...no toilet seat, nor toilet paper. The Senegalese have very strong quads and calves, and very dexterous left hands. In other words, the left hand is considered a tool for the dirtiest of work. It is likewise shunned from more delicate tasks such as eating and hand shaking.)
  3. Bowl? Yes. The entire family eats from one bowl (mum - our big red bowl!) centered over a rug in whatever particular floor space has been designated the "dining room" for that night. Most eat from a seated position on the floor, while miniature rectangular stools - which usually give the recipient an advantage of about 4 extra inches - may be provided for a few of the women and smaller children. As a guest, you will be given a stool for the first three days. After that, it's up to you to negotiate stool real estate. Thusfar I have shared spots on these stools with two infants, an aunt, and a maid. Bowl-eating etiquitte requires one to mentally divide the bowl into sections (think of pieces of a pie), and to then eat whatever food happens to land in that section. Do not go scavenging. Pieces of fish and meat will most likely appear magically in your section from time to time. (This fact bewildered and amazed me for the first few days. A careful eye caught the quick hand of a concerned aunt looking out for my well being and waistline.)
  4. Rice. Learn to like it. Brown, tan, speckled, off-white...It is the base (literally...underneath) of almost every meal. If not...
  5. Bread! Baguette, always. Think of it as that other missing utensil. It is fine to hold your bread in your left hand as you are tearing it with your right. However, do not attempt to pop that last morcel of left-hand bread into your mouth without first switching it to the right hand! (see #2)
  6. Fish. No matter how many times Khady unveils our dinner of fish and rice, I still can't quite accustom myself to seeing the dinner literally staring back at me. The fish are always whole...skin, tail, bones (lots), eyes... Don't worry about navigating the bones: as a foreigner, you are treated much like a child in the eating process, and this translates to preferential treatment in the division of meat. (see generous aunt in #3)
  7. Beverages - not necessary. There will not be one with dinner.
  8. Spice - Last night, the family decided to play a joke on me by purposefully scooting one of the fire-truck red peppers into my section of the bowl. Without a second thought I began to include it in my next bite, when suddenly the whole family burst out laughing and told me to "Laisse-la!" (put it down!) This was apparently one of their hotter peppers, and was not meant to be eaten by an american, "We haven't seen you cry yet, but you would if you ate it!" After watching carefully, I then surprised them by following suit with an aunt who had squished the pepper oils into a bite of couscous. I took the plunge. The Sambs watched in bemused horror - one nearly went for water. I, meanwhile, finished my bite and went for the next - surprised and underwhelmed by the medium level of heat I felt in my mouth. Thanks to spice-abusers for parents, it was nothing. I think I gained some respect in the family.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Meg,

We'll be sure to use your right hand for the high-fives when you get home. I'm sure your mother is taking notes for her trip to Senegal (bring lots of wipes).

The description of dinner was great!! So, how many folks normally share one bowl in your family?

Also, you can pass along my thanks to the concerned aunt who is making sure you're getting your share of fish and meat. :-)

Love always,

Le Dad

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg! I recently obtained the link to your blog and I am so excited to be able to learn about your new thrilling life. The left hand is used for WHAT? What if you were just a poor lefty like me? I suppose I would starve in Senegal. Don't worry, I'll eat a couple eggs for you and some crazy Meg-like salad dressing that Myra concocts. I miss you!

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetness,
Very deliciously descriptive! Thanks for the advance lesson...I'll start to prepare for my visit now...perhaps a pint of Haagen Dazs in the red bowl...with my right hand--that should do it!! What a joy to hear every word you write!! Missed your call--but sure hope to be here for the next one! Love love love as you immerse/discover/explore/grow...
sun moon stars
Mumsy xoxoxo (typed with two hands)

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my meggie!! I could picture you on the bed with your first description! I am thinking I might feel the same in 2 weeks! It is soooo great to hear these stories...I can hear your voice as I read. Jim and I send our love...maybe you can blog us back pattiandjim.blogspot.com!! Love, pattigirl

6:54 PM  
Blogger plee said...

Dearest Meg in Senegal,
It sounds like the food is something interesting to have. And spicy food is mm mm good. I hope the culture shock is wearing off!

Oh yeah...post some pictures if you can...or do you have them elsewhere?

Writing with a swollen face from wisdom teeth,
Sannie

8:57 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Le Dad: Don't worry - while I've adapted to many a^pects of senegalese life, I still harbor an endless love of toilet paper. Conclusion? 2-handed high tens. :)
The family divides in half to eat, so I generally eat with the 4 children, 2 aunts, 2 brothers (kind of...one isn't a brother), 2 maids, and sometimes an uncle. So generally about 9 to 11 people around one bowl.

LISA!!! Hooorahhh! I'm so glad to hear from you :) How is fall in VT? Do make some sort of crazed concoction in the dining hall in my honor... I'd love to hear what turns out!
Say hi to the Palmero, the Salkowe, and Preen for me :)

Mumsy: Yes I most certainly had you in mind with that last entry. The things you really need to practice are sitting on very low stools and squatting above the toilet (this you can practice! get those quads engaged!). Any thoughts on Greece???

Pattigirl: I was just thinking of you and Jimmy today and wondering when you will be jumping into your adventure! Thanks for the blog address... we'll have to share traveler's tips and wisdom§ My only advice thusfar: travelers checks are a pain and a hassle, at least in Senegal. They are NOT accepted like regular currency and there are only a few select banks that will exchange them. ATMs, on the other hand, are everywhere.

Sannie: I am struggling with uploading photos thusfar, but I've got a dedicated photonut on the job... hopefully with his skills and my furrowed brow we'll get somewhere. Otherwise...there's always january?
And I want a picture of cute little chipmunk-cheek sannie.
;) feel better.

xoxo
*Meg

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Meggie, you are a courageous young woman. What if you are left handed like me? Uhhh, maybe I would become even better at my ambidextrous (sp?) skills? Do you eat anything for breakfast after that luxe shower? Is Mumsy really coming for a visit? How is the drumming?

Miss you! La Tia Ruth

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Meg Continue to have a most adventurous time. That's you,completely, even genetically.
Be safe always. Janet and Paul Carpenter

11:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We know all about safety standards in creating these playful objects for infants and babies and in the course of producing these infant stools, we only use quality materials and employ safest processes to make sure that we surpass government standards of safety. We are producing these infant stools not only for your kids, but for ours as well.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home