Saturday, September 10, 2005

What I've learned this week:
  1. Family. On Thursday, I moved in with the Samb family. When I first arrived, I was taken on a whirlwind tour of the family, through 9 rooms and 16 family members. It took all of twenty seconds before I found myself accompanied by three loyal henchmen, aged 2 through 6: Bachir, Ahmed, and Bébé Fa. Two speak some french, the other sits on my lap. There are more uncles than I can count, yet somehow only 2 actually live with us... and one isn't a real uncle. Three aunts with lots of babies and opinions. (Mange! = Eat! ... a common command directed in my direction. Another not so subtle hint: "Do women wear makeup in Colorado?" My bare-faced response: "Yes, many do, but the ones who go to Senegal don't tend to wear as much." ). Grandmère is all I had expected and more. Though I've spent no more than 15 minutes with her since my arrival, I have gathered that she is indeed the African Queen of this household. Truly a sight to behold... a large woman with kind, piercing eyes, lounging on her bed, and more often than not wrapped in beautiful green cloth. Seemingly very popular in the neighborhood, Grandmère generally has visitors fluttering around her as she remains calm, good-humored, and always stationary.
  2. My new name. Senegalese family name: Nafy Samb. (Na-fee Sahm)It's a hard day when one is not only becoming acquainted with 16 others in another language, but when one must respond to a different name as well.
  3. Senegal = Paradox. Every morning, after taking a very cold shower (to be read: turn water on, wet self, turn water off, shiver, shampoo, inch away from giant cockroach, wash, turn water on, rinse, turn water off, realize bathroom may in fact belong more to cockroaches than to me, tip toe back to room, make mental note to buy shower shoes.), I then wait in my room for Khady (pronounced "rhahdee") to bring me my warm breakfast. I would expect neither of these experiences at home.
  4. Mom was right. Recently, (could Colorado really have been that recent?) a wise mother said: "What is life, but a chance to break our hearts open and cry?" If a swollen heart is life, then I am most surely living it. I have never felt more displaced, aimless, uncomfortable and scared than I did on Thursday when I was finally shown to my room. Mind reeling, I shut the door and fell onto my bed, eyes already welling with tears. As my tears fell, I watched the rain fall inside of my room (leaking roofs are just another part of rainy season). What the hell am I doing here? A good question. I grasped desperately for shreds of normalcy in my current situation. I dug through my bag for familiar things. Who would have thought that my alarm clock, a bookmark, a plato quote, my parents' handwriting... could bring me so much comfort? I think I forgot my own humanity as I packed in Colorado... might I otherwise have included a Teddy Bear? So yes. I'm trying hard (and not quite succeeding, as my internet time is running out) to describe to you my biggest moment in Senegal thusfar. Scary. Eye-opening. Soul-searching. Made me finally come down to earth and ask a lot of WHY's. I'm still asking them... answers don't come easily... but I can now confidently say that I am LIVING this life. The good. The bad. The Cockroaches. The priveledge. The self doubt. The inspiration. I'm learning again to put my faith in the divine... and I'm atuning myself to those moments of learning. My first was right there on the bed, when I heard a tap on the window followed by the tiny voice of 6 year old Bachir: "Nafy, tu es ici?"
Oui, Bachir. I am here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan,
Oiu, Meggie, we are here as well. Thank you for your email, I finally found you!

I do believe you are experiencing culture shock. How exciting, terrible, wonderful, amazing, spitirual, scarey, creepy, comfy, surprising, fun, sad, lonely...no, we are all so with you. In those tears in your room, think of us, deep breaths full of God and peace and faith...we will come to you!!! And enjoy the curly hair while you can!
Love, One of Las Tias, Ruth

2:31 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Merci Ruthie!!!
Glad you finally found the site... might I have mistyped it in the first email? If so, please feel free to pass the correct website along to the proper parties. Culture shock... yes. But yesterday turned into a good day. A very good day. :)
Here's to every good bad ugly great day to come!

10:14 AM  
Blogger plee said...

Helloooo Meg! (doing the little hang shake thing) Don't be missing home too much...I'm still here and wishing I was away already. But you are meeting so many people and you're going to have such wonderful experiences that no one else will have! Don't forget: You're only there for a semester and it will FLY BY. (Look, 2 years of Midd are gone already!)

Not so furiously typing,
Sannie

10:50 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

:) Hola Sannie (handshake...err...other shake)
thanks for the wors! It was only a matter of time before this whole 'being in africa' thing was going to catch up with me. It's good, though... I feel much more present and aware, and now GRATEFUL for the things I am discovering! Woohoo! Study abroad kicks major butt... mine, and otherwise ;)

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meggers - I'm so proud of you, you are so brave. I'm thinking about you all the time, reading your blog religiously, and sending you all good thoughts and vibes. You know the power of my vibes.

Love, Alex

2:18 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Alex: My love§ I only just discovered this comment of yours...ahhh it is so good to hear from my Allister§ How are you? And life? And the world? Keep me updated.
Love much much much
Meg

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home