Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I've become used to my newly multi-colored body. White (not black) skin, Perpetually rosy cheeks; freckly speckled nose; sandy, tanned legs gradually shifting from one shade of brown to the next, cranberry mosquito bites dotting my ankles and heels... A new addition this week: swollen, pulsing, purply-reddish, sometimes blue palms and digits. I've been drumming.

Our class gathers in an old schoolroom: 3 walls covered in blackboard and french cartoons explaining how to brush one's teeth, 1 wall covered in an impossible 15 by 20 foot block of haphazardly stacked (strewn in a vertical fashion) picnic tables, desks, and chairs. We circle in the center, 8 new drummers and 2 griots (those born into the lowest caste of Senegalese society...also the considered the most talented musiciens.)

The elder man starts beating the bass drum. The younger man with dreads smacks out a complicated mbalax rhythm. Or...arythm. My mind can't quite fit around the obvious disregard for 4/4 timing (let alone 2/4, 3/4...) Slowly our hands begin to mimic his. 9 different rhythms collide. Stop. Listen. The beat starts again. The mbalax commences. Our eyes squint at the movements of his calloused fingers, our wrists flick, we try again. No. Stop. Listen.

Stop. Listen. Stop. Listen.

The bass is louder this time. The ryhthm is slower, but still foreign (kind of like the wolof I tend to hear directed towards me these days). I close my eyes and listen. A song emerges. Not just beat, or rythm, but a melody of impacts. Like a heartbeat.

The djembe responds to the impact of one's fingers - receiving, then pressing back, throwing your hand back in the air. Gravity takes over and pulls the palm down for the next beat. Once you start the cycle, let go and the drumming takes care of itself.

We learned 5 traditional Senegalese rhythms and cycled between them. I was surprised how each felt oddly different from any beat i had ever experienced in my western musical training...and yet each was truly simple in nature. Children sing along to this music. Infants learn how to crawl, step, and eventually dance to it. Women hum it, and I've watched the maid fold the laundry to it's beat. There is a rythm to Senegalese life... I'm learning how to play it.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Meg. What a glorious writer you are. How distinct and clear your voice. How fascinating the new song. How proud am I. How thrilled I am for you. Delicious, colorful body. Embracing...receiving...touching life. From my heartbeat to yours.
Love beyond measure,
Momma

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't express how much I am enjoying reading this. Your mom should be proud; your voice shows through your words with the clearest of images. Love you Meg, take care-
love,
cass

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg... wow. I didn't know!! How did I not know that you are so so far away? I should be able to sense these things. :) I only read your latest entry so far, but I am already sucked into your story. I can't wait to continue reading! Well... there's not THAT much to say about myself. Living, learning, singing, dreaming, hoping... and waiting. That about sums it up. haha. College is great, I'm learning so much, but at the same time not enough. I want to go abroad before I graduate. I want to do so much, and I feel like I'm running out of time. I don't know how you do it, Meg! I will read your blog and try to imagine what you would say to me in the PCHS auditorium during our venting sessions. But instead of the auditorium, I will dream about being far far away, like you. Has your perspective changed? Everyone says it does when you see a different way of life. I'm sure I'll find out by reading. Thanks so much for messaging me on Facebook!! It made my day. I miss you, and maybe I'll start a "Leila in Florida" blog. Heh. I'll let ya know. Keep in touch, and I'll post again soon. -Leila

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're drumming! A woman after my own heart.

Steph

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Meg,
Your deep, resonant voice...on my phone today! A real conversation as I drove down I25. Surreal. Wonderful. CAN'T due Tuesday at 7:00 a.m.---teaching (or Wed. Thurs, same.) CAN do Monday at 7:00...or Friday at 7:00 (Anne and Peter will be here for the weekend. Woohoo!)
love, Mumsy

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meggy! This is the first time I have ever visited a blog and what a treat it is! I think I will be spoiled and other blogs will not measure. My heart, hands and feet are drumming with you. Thank you for sharing your experience. And your mother is correct - you are a glorious writer and your voice is most definitely you. Much love and a wee bit of jealousy..

Nancy Henjum

8:57 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Mumsy - Monday will be tricky, as it is grocery shopping day, (ooh! domestic things!!!) but I'll try to get someone else to pick up my items for me. If not, Friday works too. It was wonderful to hear your voice...I miss it.

Cass Attack - Thanks so much for sending me coments once in awhile...a few words from the likes of you really mean something right now. How's Boulder?

Leila - Yay, you found it! Hey, our lives seem more parallel right now than you would think: living, learning, singing, dreaming, hoping...you know, the basics ;) Ahhh PCHS...the back little corner with the one yellow light...three little freshmen gathered together. Ah yes. Have you thought about where you might want to go abroad? If you apply now, the spring could be an option! Let me know...I'm here for the giving of encouraging words like "you only live once!" and "credits-shmedits!" Dream of now...dream of then...

Steph - My goodness, what have I been missing all these years spent away from a drumset? I have a newfound respect for you and your other drum goonies.


xoxo
Meg

8:58 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Nancy! My goodness...we're online at the same time! Well much love to you back in Colorado - it's wonderful to hear from you! And I'm glad you made yourway over to the blog. (Hello to Kate.)
xoxo
Meg

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg,
I FINALLY got a chance to read your blog...read all the entries, in one sitting, oh.my.God., you ARE living deeply, in-the-mess, authentically, 'madly', and with your whole heart, mind, body and soul...Your new family is blessed to have you, as you, them, and it is just a delight to hear your experience relayed in such elegant, eloquent words...thank you. I will pray you continue to be opened up, kept safe but not necesarily comfortable, and that you know your God very close to you especially when you are scared, lonely, filled with joy...
I can't promise writing again, but will read when I can, Meg...KNOW my heart sends it's love.
Lynb

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Meg,

This is Leila's mom and I wanted to say "Hi". Leila told me a couple days ago that you're in Senegal and then a day later I ran into your mom at the Fine Arts Center and she told me again. I took that as Kismet that I need to read your blog and say Hi! The fates have demanded it (ha)! You write so well, Meg! I read and enjoyed all your posts. What an amazing adventure. You write beautifully and had me tearing up in places and smiling in others. You are so courageous and certainly are grabbing life by the horns. I admire you.

Best wishes,

Theresa Bighash (Leila's mom)

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home