Friday, November 11, 2005

Uffda! (No, Mrs.Null, that's not a swear word...but my Grandma does say it all the time.)
I do forget sometimes that this is not only my first living outside the US, but also my first time living in a big city. Since coming here, Senegal has certainly taught me the hard way about citylife.

Groping? Check.
Indecent Exposure? Check
Theft? Nearly Check. (I yanked my belongings back and yelled at him 'til he ran away. Kind of a surprise reaction on my part...but it worked.)

I'm second-guessing including this as an entry right now, but, no, I think it needs to stay. This is just as real, just as relevant as my thousands of other beautiful moments here.

It's true that I am jumpier in Sénégal. I think this new jumpiness is 3-fold:
  1. The above-mentioned incidents most certainly factor in
  2. Anytime it feels like there is a bug on me...there generally is. And it's usually bigger than anything I've ever seen in the states...
  3. Oh yes, and I'm taking a hallucinogenic malaria medication. Generally this has translated into fun, vivid dreams, but sometimes it gets a bit out of control and blurs that middle-of-the-night line between dream and reality. A little scary.

So, I now sit in a cyber, heart still thumping from the near-robbing that took place just twenty minutes and three blocks ago. I'm trying to decide where this blog entry wants to go...

  • Another soothing memory of playing with the Samb children? (Bébé Chiekh has taken to falling asleep in my arms every other night while we watch the rest of the family watching a Brazillian soap-opera)
  • An anecdote about the man sitting next to me wearing a knit winter hat? (this is funnier when seen from the eyes of a girl who sleeps every night, sans blankets, with a fan pointed directly at her on high)
  • The inspiring interview I had this morning with the director of the Centre Africain de L'Entrepreneuriat Feminin?
  • or...

...hmmm... maybe I'll just say that if you're reading this blog I probably love you very much and am excited to see you again. Yesterday and Tomorrow I will think about how little time I have in Senegal, how much I have yet to learn/see/do...But Today I'll let myself sit with the thought that I do miss home a bit.

I do look forward to feeling safe walking down a street... and I do look forward to saying goodbye to the bugs.

8 Comments:

Blogger Laylah Queen of the Night said...

Senegal was one of the safest places I've felt in all my travels...

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Meg,

I totally empathize with you about the feeling safe thing. I had a love/hate relationship with being a member of the quite obvious white minority. On the one hand, it was fantastic- many, many Ghanaians were friendly and helpful and welcoming in that West African hospitality kind of way, and it was great to be treated like a guest. On the other side was the perception of you as a rich white person, which made you a target of beggars, vendors, and, naturally, theft. I really never did reach a point where I felt comfortable traveling around alone- other than on-campus at the University of Ghana. Even during the day. In fact, I'm not sure I ever went anywhere alone. Anyway, I'm glad you're continuing to enjoy your time there, despite the moments of missing home.

Love,
Mary

P.S. What are you on for malaria- Larium? I was on Malarone, which, while expensive, was wonderfully side-effect free. Although at times I was a bit jealous of the psychedelic dreams...

11:26 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Laylah - I'm so glad to hear that. I often feel VERY safe here, which makes moments like today's all the more startling.

Mary - I will never tire of your ability to see straight to the bottom of things. I think that's both thanks to Ghana and just you being you. So thanks. In response to your previous questions on France and rioting, the reactions here have been subdued, at least within my small realm of contact. I've watched the stories on the news with my family, who seem to have no real reaction and get excited (as usual) when the Laziza butter commercial comes on. I've asked my academic director about it, and he seemed more concerned, but distanced. I'll ask my uncles tomorrow.
Larium...well, I don't have malaria. But I've also had some pretty interesting (to be read: very very scary) middle-of-the-night experiences. Pair it with a fever and it's anyone's game.
Yes, I am continuing to enjoy Senegal. Tonight I'm tagging along with a friend to interview a progressive senegalese author, then off to some friends' new apartment for girl's night! How's life?
*Meg

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg!

I have to wonder: in which language did you scream at the purse snatcher?

And when you have your hallucinogenic dreams (of which I must admit being a little envious), in which language do the demons call your name?

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyday home misses you. I talked about missing you in the most unlikely place the other day. I was meeting with my coach to have my end of the season evaluation and before I knew it I was talking about how missing you had affected my life and my life had affected my soccer this season. And you know what? Even though I was talking about being sad, he had a wide smile on his face because he knew how much you mean to me.

I love you.
Cai

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg--hope Senegal is amazing (sounds it!) The food sounds good...I'm jealous...see you next fall hun! mwuah!

2:00 PM  
Blogger plee said...

Meg, I respect the fact that you don't (seem to) freak out when there is an extraordinarily large insect on you. I know I would. That's also nice that you didn't get mugged, although it nearly did happen...I've had it happen before and it's not great. (Doesn't help the stress)

3:18 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Surpreme Dictator, To my surprise, I yelled, in english: "STOP IT! What are you doing?!?!" (was I trying to chastize him?) There have been, as of yet, no demons in my dreams. Just bugs and strangers. (kind of like in real life...)

Caitlin...so good to hear from you yesterday. Just what we both needed, I think. (I'm beaming too, just because.)

Marisa - Oooh! An online kiss! I'm blushing.

Dear Grandma, Thank you so much for the package! It just arrived last week, which was perfect timing. Very, very comforting. And yes, I think it's a wonderful idea to pass this gift on to my family here in Senegal. I intend to. Love and miss you very much.

Sannie: I've had my fair share of shrieks here in senegal...once a beetle the size of my palm dive-bombed my face...that was an interesting day. When were you mugged? :(

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home