Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Halloween! We will celebrate the day with words starting in ‘H’

Hypocrisy.
I am a hypocrite, and I am aware of it.
Example! I think microfinance is an amazing tool that has the capacity to bring aid to impoverished communities. I also think that humans are doing some pretty destructive living here on Earth, and the closer they get to what we call "civilization", the worse it gets. The farther, more remote villages here in Senegal (albeit, those with fewer medical facilities, schools, and western influence) also seem to have the healthiest relationship with the earth. Their populations flux with the natural shifts in the earth's capacity to support them. Yes. That means they die sometimes.

...so should these communities be offered the medical resources and educational tools that might come from a fuelled economy? (resources that I have happily enjoyed the luxury of all my life...)

...should these villages be 'protected' from outside influence...purposefully left alone with their 'harmonious' earthly living (natural...meaning they die early and often but sometimes not til they have seen that fourth generation)

...and who am I to be making these decisions? As of now, it seems NGOs and money-wielding governmental organizations are making these calls... and they are some pretty big ones. I am lost on the issue...decidedly hypocritical. I'm working on it.

I came to Senegal ready to experience poverty. (I think in my head I translated that to sickness, sadness, and broken families). I have yet to see that poverty. Yes, people are sick, but I am too and I've learned that you get pretty accustomed to it. The life expectancy is younger, but then again people seem to spend a lot more time laughing and drinking tea together than sitting in front of glowing computer screen (the author is blushing in acknowledgement of another point of hypocrisy). Families are not broken. No, they are stronger than most American families I have encountered. Life is very, very joyous here...especially in villages.

So how do I feel about foreign aid? What do I think of the Peace Corps? And microfinance?
Well...I still like all of them. I like the heart and soul and purpose of them. I like the people involved in them and the feeling you get from working with them. I like the purpose they offer and the lives they unite. Do I like their outcomes?

What happens when you build a hospital near a village? Health.
What happens when you build electrical lines near a village? TV.





…and now a small Halloween tribute to my favourite girls:

Goblins alleycats witches on brooms!
Wind (men) in the trees singing scary tunes!
These are the things that are heard and seen…
in the dark of night on Halloween!

boo!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Meg,

I completely know how you feel about the hypocrisy of feeling that a so-called third world culture is better off remaining third world, but also understanding the desire to change such a culture- both for those within that culture and outside it- and give people some of the privileges I've had all my life (and can't really imagine living without for any extended period of time). On my flight home from London, a woman asked me if there was a lot of poverty in Ghana. I still don't really have an answer to that question. Yes, some people lived in huts with no electricity, and they have really foul open sewers throughout the cities, and people get sick more often, and die earlier, but at the same time people seem so much happier and laid back, and there are so many wonderful cultural things that would go away if modern society infringed too much. How can you describe that to anyone? And how do you come to terms with it yourself? If you ever figure it out, let me know...

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Officially casting my vote for Meg doing a BBC-esque television show. Because you are right Ellen Wohlberg, not Ellen W, The Honorable would be divinely cast in such an admirable production.
Cheers.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetness---
Sadly, our pumpkin was smashed on our drive last night. First time ever. And way too few trick-or-treaters. Seemed like a Halloween very light on spirit. Fun, tho when a trick-or-treater in a blue wig just like mine appeared a the door!! My soul-mate. Think she thought I was crazy. Alas!! Love your questions. Life is about living the questions...as you know, and Rilke so eloquently stated. Beautiful, contradictory questions. Rich...excavating...soul-tugging questions.
Gotta run and see the election results. Cross your fingers for D-11 School Board! xoxoxo Mumsy

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoot, pumpkin smashing is just as integral a part of Halloween tradition as pumpkin carving. There were six of them on the porch here, and by dawn there were only two survivors, one mortally wounded.

Can I vote for a BBC Meg too? Sounds like a lot of fun, to both create and watch.

Meg, I've been dying to fill you in on the strange weather over the last week here in the Boulder Free Zone. The world has been brighter, like someone cranked up the wattage. Might have something to do with this nymph errant I've been seeing. She's wonderfully troublesome.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie--
Thanks for your blog--and shoe guy's response--I've now reframed the pumpkin incident! Oh--shoe guy known to those of us who love you---wow, the light in your words was radiating to the Springs!! Delighted---Enjoy!!
And Meg, for you. The best news ever. All 3 D-11 candidates we wished for won! As did Yes on Ref C so that our state might once again have the resources to begin caring and repairing. Woo hoo! Hey--have your heard Pat's cool news??xoxoxo Mumsy

8:33 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Mary - YES. Again, December. Talking. Please.

Ellen! Well...ok...the other ellen. Oh my dear sweet lord. Your J-term offer is spectacular. I need to consult a schedule and my credit status (oh that...) before I can confirm...might I sit on the offer for a week? (and yeah, smart to contact me via blog. bravo.)

Skray: Deeply honored and humbled by the comments. Need to tell you (and all the other girls!) That last night I bridged the Senegal-America gap over several cups of tea and a playing of "Damn it feels good to be a gangster." The Americans reminisced. The Senegalese loved it. I sat smugly, remembering Colorado times...
And now a word from the President...

Mumsy: Woohoo!!!! YES YES YES!!! I need only guess what wonders those elected officials might have up their sleeve for planning parentals such as yourself. Hoorah! And yes, think of the pumpkin smashing as a movement of celebration..the freeing of orange pulpy spirit. And pat's news???

Footer Anonymous: A nymph? Eegads!!! Do take advantage of that nice weather.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg,

I returned from the woods for a little while before I go back out on monday the 7th. I was excited to read more about your advantures in Senegal, especially your thoughts on microfinance and aiding third-world countries in general. Have you read "The Ugly American"? It also covers that topic along with attitudes of
Americans in third-world countries I enjoyed it. I will hopefully be going home for Christmas and (Insha' Alla) will be able to see you before I go to my team sometime late winter or early spring because after that we will probably be going to play in the desert relatively quickly.
Know that you are missed, Know that you are cared about, and know that you are prayed for:
Nick Hinds

1:19 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Ellen: righto.

Nick: You're back! No, I've yet to read that book, but I'll add it to my list per your suggestion. So good to hear from you, although your cryptic references to 'playing in the desert' do leave me worried...Know that YOU are cared about, thought about, prayed for, and missed. I can't wait to see you at christmas.
Take care.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where did you hear these lyrics:

Goblins alleycats witches on brooms!
Wind (men) in the trees singing scary tunes!
These are the things that are heard and seen…
in the dark of night on Halloween!

i remember hearing a Halloween song just like this in school when i was a child and haven't been able to find it anywhere! where did you hear it and where can i find this song? email me at Glennwelsh4@aol.com if you or anyone has an answer.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home