Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I write to you from the very European city of St.Louis. Looking out the shuttered window of this air conditioned cyber cafe, I see dusty red walls and second-story balconies. I'm reminded of Barcelona.

Just returned from my second village stay, this time in the Wolof village Keur Demba Kebe, 9km outside Thiès. Once again, a blur of contradictory experiences...

True Senegalese Teranga. Our oversized white bus (aptly named the 'Toubab'mobile) pulls into the center of the village, where we find every woman and child from the surrounding villages waiting to greet us. As we exit, cheers and laughter errupt; we are quickly led to a circle of benches. The seeming Queen Bee of the village orchestrates the shifting bodies of hundreds of villagers around 14 students. Under her flawless direction, we are soon packed in tight with smaller children filling the 'comort zone' spaces that we white students inadvertantly leave between us.

The village chief arrives. Flanked by two elders in fez and sunglasses, he delivers a hearty welcome while seated in a plastic lawnchair (an oft-coveted item in the villages. As a guest of honor, I was given my own lawnchair for the duration of my stay). "The village sees this as an opportunity to share with you and to learn from you", the chief says, "One day, our children will come to stay with your families." The women begin to cry and clap. "Thank you for coming."

My name is called. A woman across the circle runs to me and embraces me. Her smile is contagious. My little Wolof establishes that this beaming, blue and orange-clad woman with gold earrings and white, white teeth is Umi Ndong - my new mother.

At dinner time I eat not once, but three times, under the light of the stars and moon.

I initially gather with the elders around their bowl. It is too dark to see our dinner, but the taste is familiar: ceebu jen, (rice and fish... the national go-to dinner... the Senegalese equivalent of highly celebrated meatloaf). Just as I have eaten my fill, a woman yells "Ndaye Mbay!" (my new name). I obediently follow the cry, which has come from another dinner gathering. I am told to sit and eat, and I do. "Ndaye Mbay!" Another dinner, with another section of the ever-expanding family. One child stands next to this dinner crying and vomiting on himself. No visible response comes from the family, other than to hit the child when he gets too close to the bowl.

The village holds a dance and dresses the students in traditional Senegalese attire. We look very, very silly. I am wrapped in several miles of lime-green material. Head to toe. Then, along with the beating of drums, the cheers and suggestions of women and children, the laughter of fellowToubabs playing dress-up, and the orchestrations of the Queen Bee, I dance. Lumba lumba lumba la!

A trip to the field reveals a startling fact: my village grows all the produce that they consume and sell (peanuts, bissap, millett, limes...) in sand.

An afternoon is spent shade-hopping; tracking the suns movements by the movements of our woven mat as it follows the dark patch beneath a tree. The women sift through rice, carry buckets of water on their heads, wash laundry, pound millett, cook dinner, and shell peanuts - all with babies strapped to their backs. The young boys play with two marbles. A toddler dances. The men return from the fields with the goats and carts. All wait anxiously for the sun to finish setting so that the regae tape can be played on the portable radio while we break the fast with bread, tea, and bissap. A Ramadan day is coming to a close.

I didn't bring a time keeping device with me, instead I left it up to the family rythms to format my day. Village life is slow in a way that I haven't experienced since the summers of elementary school...On day one, each moment feels eternally long. The following days pass without warning or reason, far too quickly. Nothing ever 'happens' and nothing needs to; outbursts of laughter or the passing of a car punctuate the days.

Umi Ndong is one of the most incredible women I have met in Senegal. Radiant, intelligent, and eternally capable (3 vomiting children and a dinner to cook? No problem.), she spent her days slipping quickly and gently between daily activities...never hurrying, but always productive. She looked up often from her work to make eye contact with each of her children in the surrounding area: a non-verbal check-in. She would smile at me and thank the Lord for the day...for the dinner...for wellness...for my presence. Others couldn't help but gravitate towards her soulful, grounded way of being.

Umi cried as I left and I cried too. I gave her my earrings (which my mumsy in the U.S. gave me...somehow the exchange from mother to daughter to mother felt fitting. She looked beautiful in them.) She gave me a hand-sewn handkerchief and a peanut-corn cake.

Teranga. Alxamdulilla.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Vikings and their latest saga.

After the Vikings played Chicago (and lost 28-3), I decided that the Vikings must be good for me....in a zen sort of way. I must learn to accept their poor play as a metafour ... meta4 ... met a four ... smore ... on life. It's all warm and soft on the inside and wrapped in crispy crackers and it really is good unless you have too much and then you're sick.

I was on the verge of having too much of the Vikings after the Chicago game but still had to watch them play Green Bay this past Sunday. And once again, the Vikings played like smores (all soft in the middle). By half-time, Green Bay lead 17-0 and had stopped our offense pretty much dead in the water.

At this point, I decided I needed a bit more pain in my life (having eaten too many smores over the years) and decided to jump on my tread mill while I watched the second half.

And then a miracle happened (no, I didn't lose 30 pounds). The Vikings actually started to play football!! They came out and scored and soon it was 17-7. The defense stopped Green Bay and the Vikings scored again, 17-10. The defense stopped Green Bay again and the Vikings scored again, 17-13.

At this point my inner Minnesota guy kicked in and I started to feel sorry for Green Bay. They had wanted to win this game so badly, I hated for them to be disappointed. But then I thought about all that Wisconsin cheese and how it really wasn't all that grate and my inner Minnesota guy said "Phooyee...phooee...foohe...Ah the heck with those cheesy green bay folks". And I was back in the game.

By now it was mid-way through the forth quarter. The defense stopped Green Bay once again and the offense started a long drive. By this point I was peddling like mad on my tread mill. The Vikings scored a touchdown and took the lead, 17-20. Whoo Hoo...Whu Who...Wu Hue..Yippie!!!

Green Bay still had 3 minutes left in the forth quarter and they proceeded to march down the field. We finally stopped them with about 30 seconds left in the game and they kicked a field goal to tie the game 20-20.

So, the Vikings got the ball back with less than 30 seconds to go and only one time-out. They were deep in their own territory. I was ready for them to give up and go into overtime. But no...Culpepper threw a 20 yard pass over the middle and called time out with about 12 seconds left. They we threw another 20 yards and the receiver went out of bounds. There were on a couple of seconds left. We could try a hail mary pass or a field goal. The field goal attempt would be 56 yards which was longer than any field goal ever made in Vikings history. I screamed for them to try the hail mary pass (actually, I was out of breath at the time so I only thought it). Did they listen to me? NO...of course not. They had to try the field goal.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megger,

After reading your blog, I expected the 1 comment, the first comment to be from your mom. I know she'll feel deeply with each word that you have written, as she does with each of your posts. Her mind and heart will flow slowly over the words "from mother to daughter to mother" and she as she knows she has shared one of her most sacred creations (you) with another brilliant woman of the world (Umi Ndong).

I too cherish the words that you write, draining them of all the comfort that I can find in your absence. Life is happening quickly, harshly right now like a current I fight so hard that my body hurts. I feel that I have lost my balance somewhere. Miss you...

Love,
Cai

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, my post has typos. It should say 'Her mind and heart will flow slowly over the words "from mother to daughter to mother" as she knows she has shared one of her most sacred creations (you) with another brilliant woman of the world (Umi Ndong).'

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings to Our Meg!! Your blog is the best read we can imagine. You make Senegal so real we can taste the food and see your new "families". How will you go about studying microloans? We've been very enthusiastic about that idea for several years...seems like the most phenominal way to support what individuals and communities want for themselves. we have a video about microlending to share with you if you want to see it. Meanwhile, our hearts are full of joy from reading about your interesting,wonderfilled days. xoxoxoxoxoxoxKelli and G.L.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg,

I am so unbelievably jealous of you at this moment. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EVERYTHING! I miss the timelessness, the villages, the communal food bowls, the heat, the language, the bustle of daily life, the smiles, the friendliness of the people, the crowded streets and buses, the realizations of what is important in life and what is not... the list goes on. Glad to hear that everything continues to go well with you, and that your experience sounds so incredibly amazing. We'll have to swap pictures and reminisce at some point after you get home.

Love,
Mary

P.S. If you bring me back a bundle of chewing sticks, I will love you forever. According to Ghanaians, there's something about the type of tree that they're taken from that works like toothpaste when you chew on them and fights bacteria and whitens teeth and all that- hence the amazingly white teeth of many Ghanaians. I'm assuming it's the same in Senegal.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Meg,
I'm so honored and touched by your words, by being able in some small way to share in/through your gifting of Umi Ndong. Yes. Yes. Yes. Of course! And you know me so well...to know that yes, that is precisely what I would wish for you to do with these earrings. And...how thankful I am, that on another continent, another hemisphere, you have the deep honor of looking deeply in another woman's eyes...and the chance to know love and wholeness. This is how we were meant to live. And you know.

I read your post at work--and just now have a chance to "be" with it, really. While Dad cooks a delicious pot of his tasty spaghetti marinara...while we gather to watch the World Series. And cheer for the Chicago White Sox. They could clinch it tonight. Fun to share in the spirit of it all!

Your dad asked me to read his post. Which I loved. Then, I almost shot him when he didn't tell you how it all turned out. What a cruel sadist of a father. So..., the kick was good! And the Vikings won!

You and I now have new tickets flying home together on South African Airlines (together) and Delta (together). Get the 'together' part of it!! BTW---you will need to, through your group leader, contact South African Airlines and verify the change personally---and authorize/pay for the change. (I tried--said it had to be you.) Now...I need to book us one last excursion. It's all getting very, very, wonderfully real!

Heart overflowing...
Momma xoxoxxo

9:42 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

DAD!!!
What? A win? Oh now that really is like smores. And Mom is right. You are very very mean to leave me hanging like that. Fine, I'll leave you hanging too. I

My Cai - I hurt to hear your words from so far away...I sensed something of the sort from your last girls email (which...btw...CONGRATS!) I want to cuddle under the red soft sheets of one of our beds and listen to maybe a little bit of bright eyes. I love you so. Write and tell me.

Kelli and GL - Yes, isn't microlending exciting? I'm learning more day by day...it's all very self-starting here in Senegal. I'll let you know as I discover more.

Mary - Ahhh someone who knows where I'm coming from! Yes yes, we will ABSOLUTELY share these eperiences over christmas (perhaps before an evening at the Merc?)

Momma...yes, I knew it would be ok. and perhaps even eactly whatyou would want. Been thinking about you and dad a lot recently. Missing you a bit more as the months wear on. Let's discus trip details (paying for my flight?) over the phone. I love you always.
Oh and a big mmmmm to dad's spaghetti! That sounds like how Fall should taste...
And another oh! Truman stuff is DONE FINISHED clicked on and whizzed off to the faculty reps, via the internet universe, and they may do with it as they please. Thank you thank you thank you for your support and guidance through the process. Invaluable!
xoxo

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do they have Halloween where you are, Meg?

12:42 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Liso ...yay fellow Truman applicant! I know your pain, sister!... xoxo

Silent Bob's Hetero Life Partner: First off, how'd you pull that off? Secondly: No. No we do not. But Hallie and I are throwing the SIT kids a party anyway, candy and all. I shall dress up as a Toubab.

Ellen: Yes yes yes I will be running back into the arms of mischords everywhere come that first snowy week of jan. I can't wait to see you.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home