Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving: Senegal style

10:00am Stare dubiously at single gas flame intended to cook all of Thanksgiving feast.
10:30am Pie production begins
11:30am Pie tins do not exist in St.Louis.
1:00pm Our dinner is still alive and well in its coop
2:45pm Dinner takes its last breath.
3:00pm Binta makes miraculous stuffing! Kitchen starts to smell like home.
3:15pm Dinner has cancer. Ben says: "This chicken has a tumor...Do we eat cancerous animals? I mean...if I had a tumor, would you cut it off and eat me?"
3:20 False alarm. Tumor was actually Dinner's stomach.
3:30 Carnage/Biology Lesson
3:35 Lots more respect for 'Butterball'
4:00 Root mash manages to pull through with pumpkin pie-type flavor. Plus three points.
5:30 Construction of make-shift oven, using soup pot and three forks. Dinner re-named 'Tripod Bob' (Stare doubtfully once more at single gas flame.)
5:45 Dance Party (girls only. Ben takes a breather. Too much carnage.)
7:30 Tripod Bob smells goooooood. Looks good too.
7:45 Family Picture!
8:00 Dinner is served.

End product: A beautifully done herb chicken (slightly smokey in flavor), spiced root mash, stuffing, salad (wow, in Senegal?), gravy, green bean casserole, pie, and 4 very full, very pleased Toubabs.


Happy Thanksgiving!

5 Comments:

Blogger plee said...

Tell me about the carnage, Meg! We definitely had some of that going on today when my friend Cam and I made turkey soup. Man, we carved the turkey to pieces and what was left was...well, bones, obviously.

Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving Senegal style!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Week,Meg

Dear writer, how I love to read not only your comments but others as they come in. What a true community you have surrounding you and your loving inclusive spirit.

I loved spending a bit of time with Katie at the women's retreat last weekend. She is a gorgeous one! We worked on the Taize service together that concluded the weekend at La Foret. It is a very "thin place" in that chapel, isn't it?!

I think LeDad may need to consider a second career at sports writing. Whoa!

We all miss you here, Meg. I know that I am so blessed and thankful for the experience of reading and feeling your growth through this amazing technology.

The new church roof is so much better than that Reynolds Wrap Candy Kiss look. Yuk! Now it is becoming earthy, rich, deep, solid!

Siri is calling on the phone...

Your Mom looks great in RED!!!

Love you Tia Ruth

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's a Toubab? Sounds like an absolutely delicious meal...and wonderful "new" family celebration! We missed you...but are oh so glad you are having this time of your life!
This is Grandmother Young - Sorry my note about the Economist did not reach you - your Mom said she had not seen it either. Oh well - there will be many more articles about micro-economics to look up - but when I saw this one I really thought of you and your interest. Today is beautiful in CS - deep blue sky, hot sun, snow on the north sides of bluffs, green needle trees against the sky. Just likehome. We are off to see Priss star in a play and then I am heading northeast. Overnight in Sterling and then on home tomorrow. Continue having such a wonderful time. Grandmother Young

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg,

I'm at the Leylands' house. Three screaming Leyland sisters and a Colchester local (aka the guy we're riding back to Vermont with) play Ligretto (fantastic and addicting German card game) in the background. I was killer at Ligretto yesterday but this morning I cut off my unusually long nails and now have trouble picking up cards quickly enough to attack other player's piles. Speed is uber-important. They are currently ridiculing me for neglecting my DJing duties. I have selected Shakira, hoping to inspire some card-playing booty-shaking.

Kate and I are returning to Middlebury tomorrow, where we will descend on the natural foods coop, purchase scrumptious delicacies, and hole up in Chateau until the dining halls open Sunday evening. You and a few pots of tea would be a welcome addition.

They've vetoed my music choice with a request for the Thong Song. I have truly failed.

Love much,
Caitlin

7:56 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Sannie - I thought I replied to you already...and yet it isn't showing up! No matter...hoping your thanksgiving was full of germans and stuffing and a bit less carnage...

Tia Ruth - Katie Grubb, Church, and La Foret???? Talk about things that make me miss home... Can't wait to see you (in less than a month) for Yuletide festivities!

Mom and Grandma - What fun to imagine the whole family together on that side of the atlantic! I was sending good vibes to Priss during her play...can't wait to hear about it!

Caitlin and Leyland: Check your email later tonight. I constructed a surprise for you today.
P.S. My vote goes with Shakira. Plus two points, Matthews.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home