Tuesday, December 13, 2005

SHE'S ARRIVED!

No, not my mother (but she will be here in 12 hours! I can hardly stand it. More on that later.)

On Friday, December 9th, the Samb family expanded (one member contracted) . Fatou, my aunt, gave birth to a baby girl in a local Dakar hospital. They are both healthy, although they remain under the care of doctors. Her name is Marie. (This is surprising! 1. not a muslim name 2. Naming a child before a baptism? Unheard of. The Sambs are outlandish folk.)

My Mother (Mumsy, momma, Lynn) and I will be attending the baptism ceremony - this will be her introduction to my other family. For me, this is the perfect way to introduce one world of mine to another...to have them crash together in a house-overflowing day of warmth, joy, juice, head-shaving, baby-crying, and bubus. I cannot wait to bring Mom into the insanity that is the Samb household...especially when I stop to remember that she will speak neither of their two languages. While I've played many parts this semester, cultural and linguistic translator is a new one.

I am nearly done here in Senegal. Three days with Momma, then whoosh! Off to a pre-xmas quick cultural skinnydip in Morocco, then snap! Back to Dakar just long enough to Bang! Land in the US for christmas. ("You Americans do too much.")

First xmas tree sighting: It is covered in neon flashing lights (nothing new there) and positioned rakishly below a palm tree.

5 Comments:

Blogger A said...

Meg, that sounds...just wonderful. How incredible for you that you get to be a part of what seems like a warm and loving family, and celebrate with them a new baby!! And then introduce them to part of your own warm and loving family. Am a little jealous that I'm not doing a homestay.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg, I dropped your Mom off at the airport last night. She is excited to see you and so am I, it sounds like you have had a wonderful experience and I can't wait to see the pictures.

Enjoy your visit with your Mom and I'll see you after Christmas!

Randy

2:58 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Alexandra,
IT was wonderful...host family + home family = just right.
Love you...

Randy,
Fancy seeing you on this blog! My mom told me you were reading it and I said "What? No way!!!" So now I have proof. Cool, I can't wait to see you for xmas.
*Meg

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could really use some meg oatmeal right now. I miss you, widge. I can't wait to see you.
rem

2:36 PM  
Blogger j schneider said...

Meg, I tried calling your phone last night, having forgotten when you are coming home. Sadly, I found that you are not here yet. But Morocco sounds fabulous! And a baptism! OOO-EEE! Amazing! Have a wonderful time, and I will see you when you get back. In less than 2 weeks . . . yip yip yip!

<3,
Jenny

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home